

Right? This is going to be an interesting story to follow.
On the one hand, they don’t want to IPO right now, probably because they don’t think investors are keen to buy at the price they’re asking.
On the other hand, I don’t really see things getting better for them as long as cheap open-weight models that are almost as good as Anthropic’s exist. As more people figure this out, I think it’s going to get worse not better. So I don’t think they can afford to wait long.



I think most the serious investors know. But, in a bubble, stock value can keep going up long past the point that makes sense. If you think that’s going to happen, it can make sense to invest even if you think it’s a losing play in the long run.
This should really make the timing more urgent for Anthropic. I was legitimately surprised when they decided to delay the IPO.
Also there’s still a real chance that Anthropic has some real value proposition that I’m not understanding, though I’ve yet to find someone who can make a coherent argument for what that looks like.